Slideshow Image Slideshow Image

115 Years of Our Serving Our Neighbors


1900 – Dr. Samuel Johnson advocates need for community hospital.


Mr. Charles Frederick agrees to donate David Peirce Estate on High Street.




1901 – Waldo County General hospital incorporates. Hospital Aid forms.




1904 – The hospital opens its doors to patients.




1907 – Nursing school opens.




1909 – Spearheaded by the Ladies Hospital Aid, a community campaign establishes an endowment fund.




1910 – Another floor was added to the maternity annex.




1913 – 42 doctors practice in Waldo County.
1916 – Private room rates are $3 per day.
1922 – 249 patients served. $25,000 capital campaign launched to fund service to poor, heating plant, x-ray machine and a $10,000 endowment.




1928 – A new state-of-the-art x-ray equipment is purchased.




1929 – A new addition with a modern maternity ward and emergency unit is built.




1930 – Hospital receives approval by American College of Surgeons.



Click here to learn more about Dr. Stevens and his role in receiving this approval.




1948 – Waldo County School of Nursing closes, having graduated 130 nurses.



Click here for a story about some the nursing school grads.




1951 – Ladies Hospital Aid initiates fund drive for construction of a new hospital.




1954 – Directors purchase the lot along Northport Avenue for the new hospital.




1955 – Largest county fundraising project inaugurated. 1,500 donors contribute $1 million to fund new hospital.




1958 – New facility is dedicated and opened.




1963 – Old hospital is sold to Penobscot Poultry Co.




1965 – Private room rates are $24 per day.




1969 – 1,696 patients admitted.




1970 – Private room rates are $40 per day.




1982 – Progress Fund raises $400,000 for major building expansion and renovation project.




1986 – Hospital provides in excess of $450,000 in charitable care.




1990 –Progress Fund II Committee exceeds fundraising goal for $1.4 million expansion and facility improvements.




1992 – Present administration building and the former USDA building are purchased. WCGH opens the first inpatient hospice unit in the state.




1994- Plans are made and land purchased for Penobscot Shores, a retirement community.




1996 – Penobscot Shores opens.




1997 – Belfast Public Health Nursing and Arthur Jewell Community Health Center join Waldo County Healthcare.




1999 – Hospital wins Margaret Chase Smith Quality Award.




2000 – Two-story ambulatory services building dedicated.




2001 – 100th Anniversary celebrated with dedication of $12 million renovation and expansion project.




2003 – In-house MRI suite opens and new PET imaging services start.




2005 – $1 million challenge grant offered for new surgical services wing.




2006 – New surgical services wing opens.




2007- WCGH and UMA to partner to train nurses at the University of Maine Hutchinson Center. Digital mammography unit installed.




2008 – Searsport Health Center opens. WCGH joins MaineHealth.




2009 – Heart Team at hospital becomes only the fifth hospital in the state to be accredited for its Echocardiography services.




2010 – Hospital recognized by The Leapfrog Group as one of the top three rural hospitals in the country.




2011 – Work begins on “One Patient, One Record” paperless shared medical records initiative.



Click here for more information about this initiative.

Semi-private room in the original hospital.

The operating room.

China closet in kitchen of original hospital.

A medical office.

Nurse with sterilizer.

Dr. Stevens in 1931. Nursing School student Georgia Farnham in 1932.
A 1941 nursing school graduate, Louise Knowlton. Dr. Stevens in 1941.

Breaking ground for the new hospital.

New hospital being built.


Hospital front.

The Laboratory.

Phyllis Perkins in the x-ray department.

Nurses with med cart and stretcher.

Nurse with patient.


Developed By Pica Design, LLC.