The Swing Bed program at Waldo County General Hospital is a short term rehabilitation program for those who need to increase their strength and independence prior to returning home from a hospital stay. The Swing Bed Program allows your physician to change or “swing” your care from acute inpatient to short term skilled care. As a Swing patient you receive daily therapy based on your needs to meet self-care, strength and mobility goals, as well as any nursing goals, set by you and your healthcare team. The team also assists with all aspects of discharge planning to ensure a safe transition from the hospital back to your home.
• You require a “skilled” level of care.
• You agree to participate in short-term rehabilitation.
• You plan to be discharged home.
Acute care is treatment ordered by a physician based on your diagnosis. Swing bed care is rehabilitation provided by an interdisciplinary team to help you reach specific goals for self care. You work with your swing bed team to set and accomplish rehabilitation goals. You wear your own clothes and eat your meals in the activities room.
You (the patient) and the following healthcare professionals:
• Swing Bed Coordinator
• Social Worker
• Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapist
• Respiratory Therapist
• Activities Coordinator
We will work with your insurer to determine if the Swing Bed Program is a covered benefit for you.
• All private rooms
• You will remain in the same facility, often staying in the same room.
• Low nurse to patient ratios
• One-on-one Physical and Occupational Therapy sessions.
• Close physician monitoring.
Call the Swing Bed coordinators at 930-2694 or 338-2500 ext. 4515. They will be glad to talk with you and evaluate if the Swing Bed Program is right for you.