The annual meeting of Waldo County General Hospital’s Community Advisory Council was held Nov. 15. With approximately 150 members in attendance, the group:
• learned that Jenness Robbins, President of the Board of Directors for the past five years, is stepping down as president;
• learned that Catherine Reynolds has been nominated to the Board of Directors for her first term;
• were told that eight new physicians were added to the staff inthe past year;
• learned that the new CarePartners program through MaineHealth is now covering the healthcare of 70 previously uninsured individuals;
• celebrated finishing in the black despite major increases in bad debt and charitable care, along with the state’s underpayment for the services delivered to MaineCare patients;
• heard from Dr. Tori Rogers about the Let’s Go! 5-2-1-0 Program (see separate story); and
• were told about the hospital’s new Swing Bed Program by Director of Patient Care Services Kathie Boogaart, M.S., R.N. This program allows patients who no longer need acute care hospital services but are not yet able to care for themselves at home to receive daily rehabilitation services to meet their self-care goals. Previously, patients had to move to another facility to receive those services.